Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I don't even know who you ARE

Scene: This morning, driving to work on 5th street in San Rafael. HD is in the passenger seat of my car. Someone from Guide Dogs for the Blind is doing some training with a cute yellow lab. There's a dump truck parked on the right side of the road just ahead of the woman and dog.

Me: Look at the dog!
HD: Don't hit that truck.
Me: I was nowhere near that truck.
HD: You almost hit that truck. That's a bad example for that dog; how will he ever learn?
Me: Learn to drive?
HD: Yes.
Me: He's a dog. I hope I've deterred him from ever driving a motor vehicle.
HD: Now you're just being speciest*.
Me: Give me a break.
HD: I don't even want to talk to you right now. Just drive.

* speciest (noun, adj.): 1. A person** prejudiced against an entire species, such as canines or trees. 2. Being prejudiced against an entire species, such as canines or trees.
** Is it speciest of me to define a speciest as a person?

No comments: